This plant-based cheesy sauce is the perfect replacement for real cheese and can help you lose or maintain weight, too.
Made largely of cauliflower, it is low-calorie, inexpensive, easy to make, and ready in about 30 minutes.
You might want to double the batch to make it stretch – you’ll want to use it for everything!
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Makes: 2 cups
- Serving size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 95
- Fat: 5g
- Carbs: 10g
- Protein: 5g
- ¼ cup raw cashews (35g)
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower (200 g)
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion (40 g)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole (8 g)
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (10 g)
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- Place the cashews, cauliflower, onion, and garlic in a stockpot with the water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is super soft.
- Drain the vegetables, discard the cooking water, and put the vegetables in your blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
Tips & Serving Suggestions
If you prefer a “cheesier” flavor, add more nutritional yeast to the blend.
Add as much salt as you need to bring out the flavors.
This cheesy sauce is great for almost anything. I use it on top of baked tortilla chips for nachos most often.
I also like using it with Banza chickpea pasta and broccoli for a quick and easy dinner idea!
I always store mine in mason jars and find it keeps for about a week.
Hope you like it! 🙂